It is important to understand the role of androgen receptors especially if you are interested in gaining some more muscle or just looking to jack up or T levels. Androgen receptors play a major role in utilizing fee testosterone. Androgen receptors are the binding site for the androgens testosterone and DHT.

If you are going to jack up your t levels it makes more sense to also focus on improving your adrogen receptor density.  It wouldn’t make sense to have all that testosterone with nothing to bind to.

The more testosterone receptors you have, the more anabolic testosterone will be.

In this post ill explain the 3 easiest ways to increase androgen receptors.

1- Fasting equals more responsive androgen receptors

Intermittent fasting (IF) is an increasingly popular dietary approach used for weight loss and overall health. Studies have shown that after a 12-56 hour fast there is a 180% increase to the responsiveness to testosterone.

Androgen receptors seem to be more responsive during a fast. Another example is in this study where participants did a fast for 10 days straight. The researchers noted that the participants testosterone levels skyrocketed and kept climbing for the 5-day post fasting follow up.

The best time to break your fast is after your resistance training sessions. This has been proven to increase androgen receptor density (study).

Some other hormonal benefits you may experience from fasting:

  • Boost in Human growth hormone: The blood levels of growth hormone may increase as much as 5-fold (studystudy)
  • Intermittent Fasting has been shown in this study from the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism to decrease the hormone, Leptin. This decrease in Leptin causes an immediate stimulation of testosterone secretion. This means your blood testosterone levels will skyrocket.

 NOTE: If you are new to Intermittent fasting I highly recommend reading eat stop eat. This will save you time and kick start your weight loss journey. It breaks down intermittent fasting  in such an  easy method that allows for optimal macronutrient ratios to insure you enjoy your weight loss without going crazy with cravings.

2- Resistance training increases androgen receptors

By increasing androgen receptor density our bodies are able to utilize more free testosterone . Free testosterone is testosterone that is free to be used by the body. Free testosterone is most beneficial for muscle development and being able to utilize as much free testosterone as possible is a big deal as free testosterone only makes up to 2% of our testosterone production the other 98% of testosterone being in the form of bound testosterone.

Resistance training not only increases testosterone production it also increase the activity and density of androgen receptors in muscle tissue. For more information check out my post (Testosterone and androgen receptor training tips).

3- Supplementation with Carnitine

Although the research is not concrete there is evidence that carnitine can increases androgen receptors at rest. The University of Connecticut’s Human Performance Laboratory tested the effects of L-Carnitine on its ability to enhance free-testosterone utilization. In the 21-day human clinical study, L-Carnitine increased the number of  androgen receptors compared to results produced by a placebo group.

Carnitine  was proven to increase the amount of active androgen receptors in the human body, meaning that it increases the amount of “testosterone receptors”, the receptor sites where androgens (testosterone and DHT) actually bind into (study).

L-Carnitine L-Tartrate is the carnitine form the researchers used. 1-2g/day per day should get the job done. For more information check out my post (Does carnitine increase free testosterone?).


If you are looking to increase testosterone levels boost your muscularity, muscle mass and energy it makes sense that you pay more attention to increasing your androgen receptors responsiveness to utilizing free testosterone.